I mentioned it briefly in the old world. Now, as Quantum of Solace is about to hit the screens, five reasons why we should support the James Bond villain rather than James Bond himself.
1. They are more diverse. Not just upper class Englishmen. All sorts of strange foreigners. And we like diversity.
2. They give the opponent a chance. Could easily just shoot Bond in the head, instead always give him an opportunity. Bond just coldly eliminates.
3. They inspire loyalty from vast numbers of henchmen (and women). Must be doing something right.
4. Charisma and Style. Hard to define, particularly within my strict word limit. But possibly the clearest distinction of all, the chief villains have more of it than Bond.
5. They always end up losing. And we all root for the underdog.