Saturday, September 01, 2007

Caste


I had wanted to avoid a televisual reference again, but I watched Michael Wood's History of India yesterday and I've actually met these film-makers so I feel I know them. Anyway, it was excellent and I heartily recommend it.


Obviously I disapprove of inherited caste privileges. People in India have been fighting the caste system for many thousands of years, writing statements of universal rights well before Palestinians copied some of them, and the whole nation of India was founded sixty years ago on principles of freedom from those outdated ridiculous ideas.


Sadly in the 21st century some people are still trying to exploit caste differences for personal or political or financial gain. It's so third world, so backward.

Of course the UK monarchy and house of lords are different aren't they?

No comments: